Friday 9 March 2018

An experience of hardship.


It was on a Monday afternoon during lectures that we began the discussion. We were learning a course known as "Cement and Concrete" when my colleague drifted my attention to him.
The lecturer was explaining a few things about the Concept of Concrete when the guy seated beside me chipped in."Guy, if you don handle concrete work before, you go know say life no easy at all."
I returned a perfunctory smile to him while trying to focus on what the lecturer was saying. He repeated what he said earlier just to draw my attention. It occurred to me that he needed someone to talk to.

"I dey tell you, to mix concrete no easy at all." I replied him so as not to make him feel snubbed.
"But, have you done mason job before? How come you know about concrete?" I probed him.
"Don't worry, after the lecture, I will share my life story with you." We focused on the lecture waiting patiently for the right time to discuss.

He was an average student in the department. Since our first year, I have known him as someone who does not usually associate with others for reasons best known to him. He was not frequent in attending lectures and practical. He fell in the category of students that are usually active during examination period. I was very eager to listen to his story.
After the lectures, we sat in a secluded place and he began his story.

It was a story of hardship, suffering and struggle to survive on campus despite all odds.

"Life has not really been easy for me since our first year. I did a lot of menial work to be able to pay my tuition fees, feed myself and also survive on campus. Many of our classmates don't know about this except a few who are close to me." He began in an emotion-laden tone. I quickly brought out my smartphone, turned my sound recorder app on with my pen and paper to jolt down a few points.
"When I was in high school, I was brilliant. While waiting for my admission, I tutored one of my uncle's sons when he prepared for a cowbell mathematics competition and he excelled. My uncle was impressed and he promised to pay my tuition fees when I get admitted in the university. When I finally got admitted, I had issues with my JAMB registration number. Because of that, my uncle doubted my admission. He thought I was scamming him and till today, I have not received a kobo from him."

"So, how were you able to pay your acceptance fee, tuition fee, and other necessary fee as a freshman?"

"It was by God's grace. My parents were able to pay my acceptance fee and part of the school fees. When I came to FUTO, I did not know anybody. That year, this building (SEET complex) was still uncompleted, so I slept inside there with some of the workers. I stayed in school during week days and I traveled on weekends. I did this for about two weeks before I met a friend who allowed me squat in the hostel."
He paused for a while to answer an incoming call. After the call, he continued while I listened with keen interest.
"After the usual medical clearance, I began searching for a student-job to enable sustain myself on campus. I came in contact with a mason man who introduced me to a contractor. That was how started. I began molding blocks and laying foundations for most lodges in Eziobodo."

I was intrigued.

"Like, you were once a mason man on campus? How did you cope and how much were you even been paid?" I probed further.

"My brother, na condition make crayfish bend. Then, I was been paid #600 per bag of cement. In a day, I can mix up to 8bags or more depending on how strong I am that day. After the days job, I will eat fufu and rest. Most times, the body pains were much but I had no option than to continue. I also worked for some contractors handling most building projects on campus. I was among those that laid the foundation and concrete pillars of that building close to SMAT."

"This is quite interesting. Like how long did you do this work?"

"Well, I did this work throughout my first year in school. I missed lectures and practical a lot. In my second year, I left the mason job. I got another job as a barman in a hotel in Owerri. That work helped me a lot. I worked from 8am - 2am and I was paid #15,000 per month with feeding on working days. I worked one day on, one day off. I usually make more sales on weekends and I often increased the prices of drinks to enable me make more money."

"But eh, were your parents aware? Like, were they in support? Or does it mean they never cared to provide you with pocket money."

His countenance changed and he became uncomfortable with my questions.
"Actually, my family is not financially stable and I cannot fold my hands waiting for manna to fall from heaven. My parents were aware. They just advised me to be careful and always remember to study. Life is not easy bro."

"What about your academic life? How did you cope?"

"Then, I don't usually attend lectures not to talk of reading. During examination period, I would suspend all work and face my studies. Despite all these challenges, I have never had a 'carry-over' result. My result is not that good anyway. I have a '2-2' result."
"Well, that's good. How long did you work as a barman?" "I did the work for about four months before I found another better work. I will forever remain grateful to the former VC, Prof. Asiabaka. I benefited from his 'student-work scheme'. I got the job through the help of one woman working in Students affairs unit. Then, I was given a portion of land close to SEET roundabout to clear at least thrice a week which was duly supervised. And I was paid #10,000 per month. Many students also benefited from the scheme. I also worked with OUD department where I helped in dispatching letter and I was paid #5,000 per month.  When I started, I was owed for three months and was later paid in full in the fourth month. I did the job for a year. That was the last job I did before the end of Prof. Asiabaka's tenure. When the new VC came, things changed."

"Wait, you mean you were cutting grass during the day? Weren't you ashamed to do such work during school hours?" I replied him in a jocular tone.

"Noo, I don't work during school hours. I usually leave my room around 4:30am so that before 5am I will commence work. I will work till 6am or beyond before going home to prepare for lectures. I didn't bother about the shame or insults. I was more interested in the money. I needed the money to survive. And besides, only my close friends knew what I was doing."

"Now, that you're in final year, how do you cope? Are you still doing any work?"

"My brother, I no dey do any work again oo. During my I.T, I did a lot of work that fetched me cool money. I don't think I will do any menial work in my final year unless when the need arises."

"Your story is encouraging. I hope you wouldn't mind if I write on your experience and possibly share on social media to encourage someone out there?"

He laughed and gave me a friendly jab. I smiled.
"You no dey tire for those your long articles on WhatsApp abi? Anyway sha, you fit write am. Nothing dey happen."

"One more thing, what words of encouragement can you tell a student out there that will read your story?"
"There is no obstacle that can hinder you from getting to your goal. I was once a student-mason man. I never believed I will be a final year student. There were moments I had no money on me. Despite all those challenges, I survived. You too can survive. Just remain focused!"
"Thank you for sharing your story with me. I will do my best to put it in writing."
"I think we need to call it a day."
We stood up, shook hands firmly and went our different way.
#LifeInFUTO

No comments:

Post a Comment