Monday 14 August 2017

ON THE PROPOSED ASUU STRIKE. (14/08/2017)

                                                      Dear Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU),
How are you today? Something in me tells me that you're fulfilled and happy after embarking on an 'indefinite strike' to the detriment of Nigerian students. That's all good.
I write you from the deepest part of my heart. I write you as a Nigerian student whose bright future is being truncated by your incessant academic strike. I write you as an embittered young boy who is sad over your recent decision and use of the word 'indefinite'. I believe you will listen to me. Sure, you will.

I can remember vividly the last time you embarked on an 'Indefinite strike' which culminated into a
six month strike making us waste our academic year at home. I just got admitted to study Engineering then but I had to wait for you to conclude your 'Indefinite strike'. It was a bittersweet experience. I prayed never to experience such again.
Earlier this year, I experienced a 'three-month' strike courtesy of a peaceful protest which climaxed into a violent one. It wasn't funny at all. I had thought that it will be the last strike I will experience but I think my guesses are wrong. This is really painful and pathetic.
My most respected Professors, academicians, Doctorate holders, senior lecturers etc, I respect you and I admire your intellectuality but then whenever you decide to use the word 'INDEFINITE' to halt our academic programme, my heart trembles and quivers. How I wished such a word never existed in your dictionary. Your indefinite strike might last up to 3, 4, 6 months as the case maybe or even up to a year. Please be considerate. Help us to achieve our academic goals. I will also like to be a 'Prof.' like you one day. I guess you will be happy if I become one!
It is a well known fact that majority of your kids don't school in Nigerian Federal universities like us and may not have experienced what an academic strike looks like. I can understand, but please kindly consider us. Kindly revert your decisions for our sake and for the sake of our academic future.
I can understand that there is a breach of agreement between you and the Federal government with regards to non implementation of some policies. I feel for you but then disrupting our academic calendar is not the right thing to do. We have suffered a lot and have wasted a lot of months all in the name of your 'indefinite strike'. Out of the five years I am supposed to study Engineering, I have wasted 9months due to academic strike. I pray not to waste more. Please, let my five years of studies be five years biko!
I hope you will receive this my plea with a fatherly heart and consider us. Please Sir, kindly revert your decision and use other peaceful means to solve the lingering issues between you and the Federal government.
Thank you for your kind consideration.
I hope to resume studies at the right time and equally graduate at the right time without any more 'INDEFINITE STRIKE'.
From:
Anthony Aniebo
(A concerned Nigerian student).




No comments:

Post a Comment