Tuesday 10 May 2016

ATM WAHALA: STOP THE MONOPOLY

Image result for picture of ATMI haven’t really got the time to frequently visit the Automated Teller Machine (ATM) gallery since I barely had time to stand in a long queue just to withdraw some naira notes (My own money), but my experience few days ago was horrible and I think its high time we face some crucial issues bothering us as students. So, on Friday (26th February, 2016), I was in dire need of cash, I mean I was cashless. I managed to borrow #500 from a friend of mine to enable me transport myself to the ‘only bank branch’ in FUTO, “DIAMOND BANK”. I managed to trek under the scorching heat of the sun from FUTO road, Eziobodo to the Access Bank, ATM gallery located at the former School of Engineering Building (SEET HEAD). On reaching there, I noticed an unusual scene.
The gallery was deserted. On further investigations, I noticed the ATM gallery was faulty and no one cared to repair it. The next option was to go to DIAMOND Bank.  Quickly, I flagged down a motorcyclist, “Bike, u dey go DIAMOND BANK?” The man’s mood was unusual and I began wondering the kind of queue I would meet there. I quickly narrated to the man my predicament and how urgent it was. Within few minutes, I was at DIAMOND Bank. ‘Gracious God!’ right from a far distance, I could see a large crowd of future leaders standing under the sun just to withdraw their own money. The crowd outside the bank was more than the crowd inside. It dawned on me that I have to look for a Plan-B. As God would have it, I met a friend of mine, after exchanging pleasantries, I was able to fathom that he was on the same condition with me. Since we couldn’t stand in the long queue, we probed a motorcyclists on the possibility of having access to an ATM gallery outside the school environ. “Eco Bank dey for Obinze, buh na #150 each I go charge una”, came the reply from the man. I wasn’t really happy with the development, but I couldn’t help it, not when I have other activities to attend. Quickly, we entered the motorcycle and in few minutes, we reached Eco Bank Plc, Obinze Branch. The journey looked fairly long and it was risky travelling with a motorcycle on the highway. Again, I was greeted by another long queue comprising of FUTO students. I almost passed out. I had no other choice than to stand in the queue. After about an hour, I was able to withdraw and I hurriedly came back to school. Thanks to God that the ATM gallery didn’t reject my card. I know many might have passed through what I passed even worse than mine. You begin to wonder why a Federal University of Technology would allow a single bank to enjoy monopoly. Why can’t Commercial banks like First Bank, UBA, Access Bank be allowed to operate in FUTO? Whatever be the reason is none of my business; all I ask is for more banks to operate in FUTO and more ATM galleries. I personally closed my DIAMOND account because it’s frustrating to bank with them, “abi na lie? An average year one student already has a DIAMOND account number even before getting his or her registration number. It’s really ignominious. Imagine going to Obinze just to withdraw a little sum coupled with the transport fare to and fro and the road hazards involved. I pray the authorities would hear my plea. It’s all an aluta struggle. 

Aluta Continua, Victoria Acerta.


No comments:

Post a Comment